Community manager, Iron Tribe Fitness (February 2016 - present)
Iron Tribe Fitness is a fitness brand founded in Birmingham with more than 40 gyms open nationwide. As community manager, I oversee corporate social media and other forms of brand communication. I also have a heavy hand in creating collateral for the brand in the form of print ads, outdoor banners and other collateral pieces.
Freelance writer, Birmingham Magazine (January 2016 - present)
Birmingham Magazine has been Birmingham's city Magazine since 1961, covering arts, entertainment and living in the Magic City. As a freelance writer, I contribute regularly to their music section and other areas of the magazine.
Freelance writer, Starnes Publishing (January 2016 - present)
Starnes Publishing produces printed newspapers for some of the most affluent zip codes in Birmingham. Their publications include Hoover Sun, Village Living, The Homewood Star, 280 Living, Vestavia Voice, Cahaba Sun and Iron City Ink. As a freelance writer, I contribute regularly to their newspapers with feature stories and photos.
Freelance copywriter (January 2016 - present)
As a freelance copywriter, I work with digital marketing agencies in the greater Birmingham area to generate content for their website and their clients' websites.
City Beat Reporter, The Natchez Democrat (February 2015 - November 2015)
The Natchez Democrat is a daily newspaper in Natchez, Miss. that covers the city of Natchez, Adams County and Vidalia, La. The oldest settlement along the Mississippi River, Natchez is a city rooted in history and Southern culture.
- Cover all city government
- Write weekly feature content
- Paginate all sections of newspaper
- Update web content
- Contribute feature content to Natchez The Magazine
- Write weekly editorial content
- Update social media outlets
Assistant Editor, Southern Lady (July 2014 - February 2015)
Southern Lady is a Hoffman Media publication that celebrates life in the South through exposing the region's best home decor, recipes and artisans.
- Wrote the standing Southern Spotlight for each issue, which showcased a Southern artist
- Wrote the standing Simply Southern feature issue, which showcased someone in the South who makes a unique product
- Launched an Instagram account for the magazine
- Managed the magazine's website and Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+ accounts
- Assisted with photo shoots
- Responded to reader inquiries
Editorial Assistant, Hoffman Media (August 2013 - July 2014)
Hoffman Media is a publishing house based in Birmingham, Ala. that produces lifestyle magazines geared towards a women audience. While serving as editorial assistant I worked with multiple publications including Cooking With Paula Deen and Entertain, Decorate, Celebrate magazines.
- Wrote Cooking With Paula Deen's "Top 10" feature for each issue
- Picked products for "Paula's Picks" feature
- Wrote feature content for Entertain, Decorate, Celebrate
- Managed website and social media for Entertain, Decorate, Celebrate
- Assisted with photo shoots for both magazines
- Organized photo releases and expense reports for both magazines
- Responded to reader inquiries
General Assignment Reporter, The Selma Times-Journal (August 2012 - August 2013)
The Selma Times-Journal is a daily newspaper located in Selma, Ala. that covers Selma and Dallas County. Known for its vital role in the Civil Rights Movement, Selma is a city with a storied past and a vibrant present.
- Wrote stories for all sections of newspaper
- Took photos to supplements stories
- Paginated portions of newspaper
- Updated website
- Contributed content to Selma The Magazine
Alabama Press Association
- 2014: Best Spot News Photo, first place
- 2014: Best Business Story, third place
- 2013: Best Photo Essay, second place
- 2013: Best News Coverage, third place
Louisiana-Mississippi Associated Press Media Editors
- 2015: Features, second place
- 2015: Investigative, second place
- 2015: General news, third place
Auburn University, Bachelor of Arts in Journalism (2008 - 2012)
- The Plainsman, staff writer
- The Corner News, weekly blogger
- Auburn Family, weekly blogger
- The Layman Group, campus ambassador
- Office of University Writing, intern
- Delta Gamma sorority, member
- Microsoft Office Word
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- Proficient in AP Style
- Web design